Location: Peru, San Martin, Alto Huayabamba project
Climate: subtropical humid
Soil: Inceptisol (USDA Classification)
– UNAS, Universidad Agraria de la Selva, Peru
– ENSAT, Toulouse, France
– Montpellier SupAgro, France
2015 was declared by FAO the international year of soils. Soil loss problematic is one major issue, as soil formation is very long (thousand of years are needed to form only a few centimeters of soil depth!) and 25 to 40 billion tonnes of topsoil are lost every year (FAO, 2015). The consequences for farmers and communities are important: lost of fertility, landslide, sediments accumulation in rivers, depletion of deep water reservoirs, water pollution.
In Peru, Alto Huayabamba, during one year of monitoring we have measured:
– 53 tons of soil losses/ha on bare soil;
– 11,8 tons of soil losses/ha on reforested area;
– 0,2 tons of soil losses/ha on secondary forest (full covered land).